Saturday, January 8, 2011

PUL Cloth Diaper Pail Liner

I finished my first, and probably last diaper pail liner.  I picked up some PUL fabric when I was in another state for Christmas at Joann's with a 50% off coupon.  For some reason the laminated side of this fabric was on the same side as the print, so it wouldn't work for diaper covers.  It does make a cute pail liner though.  This liner has an elastic edge, and I made it extra large to fit over the handles on my diaper pail.

I first measured my pail and drew out the dimensions.  I made it 3 1/2 inches taller than my pail so there would be enough to fold over the edge and 1 1/2 inches wider to allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance and some extra room to fit over the pail handles.

Sewing it was really rough.  I clearly don't have the right equipment for my machine to handle the PUL fabric.  It would be good to have some kind of non-stick foot or some tear-away lining so it doesn't stick while you're trying to sew it.  It was a huge pain, but I'm glad that I won't have to wash my pail as often anymore.  The liner can just go in the sanitizing wash with the cloth diapers.

4 comments:

  1. I just made a wet bag and a friend suggested using either tissue paper or a plastic grocery bag as a tear away lining. I thought it was a good idea because I also had problems with the PUL on my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read recently that baby powder sprinkled on the parts you will sew helps reduce the stickiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You can use ultra Cheap toilet paper as a tear away liner. It falls apart on the first wash, and makes sewing with PUL so much easier! The really cheap, one ply that they use commercially works best and makes sewing PUL a breeze.
    (Tip: it also works well when sewing slippy fabrics like satin and silks)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you put a piece of clear tape on the sewing machine foot the PUL slides easier when you sew it.

    ReplyDelete