Thursday, May 26, 2011

Market Skirt

I found the cutest skirt tutorial on Dana Made It, and tried it out.



 

 
I followed the Market Skirt Tutorial and it turned out great.  There are just a couple of things I changed.  Instead of gathering using the tension knob on your machine (my cheap-o machine can't do it) I used the embroidery floss method.  Use a wide zig zag stitch to sew over a piece of embroidery floss and then pull the floss to gather.


 
And for the pockets, I changed a few things.  I cut out 4 of the pocket shapes (two for each pocket).  I sewed them together, leaving space to turn them right side out.  Then I turned them through the hole so all seams are hidden.  I don't have a serger, so I prefer to finish all the seams I can.  Then I put a piece of elastic inside near the top to make them gather.  I sewed a casing for the elastic, added a button, and sewed the pockets to the skirt.  I also made French seams and flat-felled seams inside the skirt to prevent fraying.
 
And of course every skirt needs a matching hair accessory.



No comments:

Post a Comment